Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Am I unemployed?

Lately, I've been thinking about "work." I just read a great book on the subject. What is work, exactly?
I've had a lot of time on my hands. I enjoy reading lots of books and going for walks. And I find that this is a problem. Not that I mind the freedom of doing whatever I like: no, being the master of my own ship is something I've always wanted. My own charter. My own adventures. My own destiny!
Except, the cargo hold is empty. There's no one on deck but me. And the ship's larder contains only dust.
Who's steering this ship, anyway? Oh, yeah—I am.
So, eventually I have to bring home the bacon. Reading and walking have merit, but I'm still working out how to get paid for it. Until then, I'm going to work on someone else's ship for a while. Get my "sea legs" back. Right. I need to sharpen up my skills.
So this is my forum to write regularly. I need the practice.
And if I stay occupied with this blog—my own enterprise—am I really unemployed?

2 comments:

  1. No, not unemployed then. But gainfully employed?

    I suppose that by working for your wife—doing dishes, folding laundry, making the bed; that might gain you something, sailor. ;-)

    But I want to see the money. In my hand. (Or at least in my checking account.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking the gain Loralee is offering is worth more than money! ;-)

    ReplyDelete