Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Job Search


It's been over two weeks since I heard back from a couple of my top favorite employers. Both responded to my applications with emails; one has done a preliminary HR rep interview. That was on November 17th. I've sent new email kindly requesting updates, but I've had no reply.

So I'm looking for additional postings, but nothing else comes close to these. But I can't sit idle, just searching through web sites. I gotta get outta here. Talk to somebody. Do something—anything.

I went to the LDS Employment Center and asked for a little advice. Elder Quilter gave me a great idea: look through the yellow pages and find interesting businesses. Call up or visit, and talk with a manager over your preferred occupation, and ask what s/he would look for in the ideal candidate. Ask a few questions. Thank the manager for the time, and get enough contact info to be able to send a thank you card. After the visit, send that thank you card.

And what does this give you? You just interviewed a potential employer. A manager in an attractive industry now knows you. And it's not what you know....

So that gives me plenty to do tomorrow. And that's what this is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment